Previous Article Next Article Comments are closed. HSE tackles violence at workOn 1 Sep 2001 in Personnel Today Related posts:No related photos. Executive takes action as research reveals a gap in staff training indealing with work-related violenceWorkers in England and Wales experienced 1.3 violent incidents in 1999,according to Health and Safety Executive research. But only 18 per cent received formal training in how to deal with violent orthreatening behaviour at work, it found. Seventy-two per cent have received neither formal training nor informaladvice. In high-risk groups, training provision failed to exceed 50 per cent,with the exception of security and protection services, where training ratesran at 71 per cent. Between 1997 and 1999, the number of incidents is estimated to haveincreased by 5 per cent, – a statistically insignificant increase that appearsto reverse the 19 per cent fall in incidents seen between 1995 and 1997, saidthe HSE. Just under a fifth – 17 per cent – of workers who have some form of contactwith the public in their work said they were either very or fairly worriedabout being threatened. And 14 per cent of those who have personal contact withthe public are worried about being assaulted. Those in occupations at highest risk of violence – public transport workers,nurses and teachers – said they are most concerned. However, the risk of a worker being assaulted remains relatively low, with2.5 per cent of working adults estimated to have been the victim of at leastone violent incident at work in 1999. Some 1.2 per cent have been physically assaulted by a member of the publicwhile they were working, and 1.4 per cent have been threatened, it found. HSE spokeswoman Ann Harrington said of The British Crime Survey findings,”Acts of violence towards people trying to do a day’s work areunacceptable. We recognise the need for effective action, and are working on athree-year Health and Safety Commission partnership programme, designed toreduce work-related violence by 10 per cent.” www.hse.gov.uk/hthdir/noframes/violence.htm
By Dialogo March 31, 2011 Two hundred eighteen tons of cocaine seized in 2010, as well as 426 kilos of heroin kept off the world’s streets, are some of the chief successes highlighted by Colombian Defense Minister Rodrigo Rivera on 28 March, on the occasion of the twenty-fourth anniversary of that country’s Anti-Narcotics Police. “These are all facts and actions that give rise to feelings of pride in and respect for an institution and a group of men whom we will never be done recognizing for their work for the good of their homeland,” Rivera affirmed. The minister also announced that thanks to the work of the more than six thousand men and women of the Anti-Narcotics Police, twenty-seven organizations dedicated to drug trafficking, with five hundred members, were dismantled last year. “Thanks to actions like these, which are repeated daily, the International Narcotics Control Board, INCB, removed Colombia from its special list of countries with drug-trafficking problems, although it continues periodically evaluating the results of this fight,” the minister said. Finally, Defense Minister Rodrigo Rivera stressed not only the Anti-Narcotics Police’s efforts to attack every stage in the process of drug trafficking, but also the areas of preventing the use of psychotropic substances and training other police forces around the world. “Prevention programs and campaigns have benefited 157,000 students, 65,000 teachers, and almost 5,000 parents,” the minister affirmed. And he added, “As if this were not enough, 102 agents from the police forces of fourteen countries (Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, Costa Rica, the Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Jamaica, Mexico, Panama, Paraguay, Peru, and Uruguay) have been instructed and trained by the National Police in different specialties, such as jungle operations, combat medics, area defense, instructional techniques, and rural techniques.”
Facebook2Tweet0Pin0Submitted by Thurston County Board of County CommissionersThurston County Public Health has lifted the toxic algae-related warning for Summit Lake. Sample results for the last two weeks show that Anatoxin-a concentrations in the water are less than one microgram per liter, the level of public health concern.The sample taken on May 13, 2018 had Anatoxin-a at 0.59 ug/L, below the level of public health concern for the second consecutive week. The results for the first sample taken on Monday, May 7, 2018 showed toxin levels were at 0.076 micrograms per liter.Since April 24, Summit Lake has been under a toxic algae alert recommending not drinking or using the lake water for the roughly 400 homes that surround the lake.Health Department staff will monitor the lake for toxin producing algae blooms only when residents report a new algae bloom. Residents can sign up for email updates and advisories for Summit Lake by calling Thurston County Public Health at 360-867-2626.“It’s important for residents of all our lakes to understand that algae blooms tend to increase in the summer months, when the weather is warmer,” said Art Starry, Environmental Health Division Director. “While science doesn’t yet know what makes an algae bloom become toxic, we do see patterns that indicate people should use extra caution in the warmer months. A catch phrase that may help is, ‘when in doubt—stay out.’”Residents should flush their water systems any time an algae alert is lifted, prior to drinking from their taps. Instructions on how to do this are on the Thurston County Summit Lake Toxic Algae web page here: https://bit.ly/2ohXydEFor more information about blue-green algae and the County lakes program, visit the County’s Blue-Green Algae Advisories website.