first_imgHome » News » Housing Market » Infamous landlord Fergus Wilson pleads the case for first time buyers previous nextHousing MarketInfamous landlord Fergus Wilson pleads the case for first time buyersControversial former buy-to-let king believes the tax system should be changed to enable landlords to sell their properties to tenants.Nigel Lewis10th October 201901,616 Views One of the UK’s most infamous landlords has published a rambling and contradictory open letter to Boris Johnson asking the Prime Minister to reform the tax system to enable landlords to sell their homes more easily to first time buyers.Fergus Wilson (pictured, above) with his wife Judith built up a huge buy-to-let portfolio in Kent that the couple recently disposed much of for £250 million. He says he’s been doing his bit and that 80% of the properties he has sold were bought by first time buyers while the other 20% were bought by both landlords or second steppers.In the letter Fergus Wilson suggests that if the government wants to help more people on the property ladder then reducing the tax burden for landlords when they sell a property would help free up the market.Fergus WilsonAt the height of their activities the Wilsons owned nearly 1,000 two and three bedroom properties in Kent  and made it into the Sunday Times Rich List.But controversy is never far behind and previously Wilson has complained that tenants of Asian origin have ‘smelly’ cooking habits, sent evictions notices to renters who were on benefits, made discriminatory comments about women who are victims of domestic abuse and was convicted of assaulting an estate agent.But perhaps retirement has had a mellowing effect; his open letter overall strikes a more conciliatory note, asking the government politely to reform the tax system.“After Brexit is achieved, I really think you need to address the housing issue,” he says.  Boris Johnson fergus and judith wilson Fergus Wilson first-time buyers October 10, 2019Nigel LewisWhat’s your opinion? Cancel replyYou must be logged in to post a comment.Please note: This is a site for professional discussion. Comments will carry your full name and company.This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.Related articles BREAKING: Evictions paperwork must now include ‘breathing space’ scheme details30th April 2021 City dwellers most satisfied with where they live30th April 2021 Hong Kong remains most expensive city to rent with London in 4th place30th April 2021last_img