Category: qbzbmmqyofmrhzhg Page 1 of 14

COVID-19 death toll surges past 2,000

first_imgChina’s National Health Commissionreported 1,749 new confirmed cases of coronavirus infections, the lowest dailyrise since Jan. 29, while Hubei province – the epicenter of the outbreak –reported the lowest number of new infections since Feb. 11. BEIJING – The death toll from the newcoronavirus in mainland China passed 2,000 on Wednesday although the number ofnew cases fell for a second straight day, as authorities tightened alreadysevere containment measures in the worst-hit city of Wuhan. Dr. Kong Yuefeng, a recovered COVID-19 patient who has passed his 14-day quarantine, donates plasma in the city’s blood center in Wuhan in central China’s Hubei province on Feb. 18, 2020. CHINATOPIX/APcenter_img The latest figures bring the totalnumber of cases in China to over 74,000 with 2,004 deaths, three quarters ofwhich have occurred in the Hubei provincial capital of Wuhan. The city of 11million people, where the virus first appeared last year, is under virtual lockdown.(Reuters)last_img read more

Going to a Reds Game

first_imgEven though I like baseball very much, it is quite a hassle for me to go to a Reds game.  In order to be close to the stadium, it costs $20 to park.  When you are in a wheelchair, there are only a few spots available for you to sit.We took my brother and sister-in-law to help Sally.  We hadn’t been there in 3 years, and wouldn’t you know, we chose Wednesday night this week to go.  Starting about Sunman, it poured down rain for 2 hours.  We got to the Park and found out the storms had knocked out the elevators at the stadium and our tickets were on the mezzanine level.  This was the good part of the experience, however, because it meant they had to relocate us on the main level.  The Reds staff were extremely helped and kind.  They bent over backwards to accommodate us.  After all of this, is was an enjoyable evening and I will be willing to try it again!last_img read more

West Ham want ‘more entertainment’

first_img Press Association Sam Allardyce’s brand of football will never be ‘the West Ham way’ and fans are “disappointed” he will be manager at the start of next season, says the editor of a prominent Hammers fanzine. The club announced on Tuesday Allardyce will remain as manager but that he must accept a handful of “improvements”, including a commitment to a more positive style of play. A statement released by the club said: “After listening to feedback from supporters, the board have insisted on improvements to the set-up of the playing and backroom staff to ensure the team provides more entertainment next season.” Allardyce has agreed to hire a new attacking coach and has been told by joint chairmen David Gold and David Sullivan to aim for “at least a top-10 finish” – but sceptical supporters remain unconvinced. “Gold and Sullivan are talking about ‘the West Ham Way’ but the more you look at it the more it seems the Allardyce way is never going to be ‘the West Ham Way’,” said David Blackmore, editor of The Blowing Bubbles Fanzine. “There is certainly a lot of disappointment and a feeling the fans haven’t been listened to. “A lot of fans are absorbing it and making notes on what has been promised so that when it doesn’t materialise at the start of the season they can call the board out on it.” He added: “At the moment we don’t have the types of players to be entertaining so I don’t see much changing. “Having a squad that is going to be fit is going to make a difference but I doubt it will be long past October or November before fans start voicing their concerns again.” West Ham’s prospects last season were damaged by a number of injuries to key players, including club-record signing Andy Carroll. Allardyce will have “considerable funds” available to strengthen his squad this summer but the board will have more influence over which players are brought in. Sullivan and Gold said: “We have a very clear vision of how we want West Ham United to operate under our joint ownership. “Although not everybody understands the ‘West Ham way’, we do and we respect it as we have been supporters all our lives. We believe this is about a philosophy that is not just about the style of play, but the whole ethos that surrounds the club.” Allardyce guided the club to promotion from the Championship at the first attempt in 2012 and secured a 10th-place finish in the team’s first year back in the Premier League. The Hammers failed to progress last season, however, and spent the majority of the campaign fighting off the threat of relegation. Three wins over rivals Tottenham and a 13th-place finish in the table did little to appease disillusioned supporters, who complained about the team’s defensive style of play. In March, the home fans at Upton Park booed at the final whistle even after the Hammers had beaten Hull 2-1, to which Allardyce responded by cupping his ears in disbelief. Maintaining status in the Premier League remains the club’s priority, especially given the significant financial implications of moving to the Olympic Stadium in 2016. last_img read more

UW plays role of underdog

first_imgJEFF SCHORFHEIDE/Herald photoWhen the Big Ten schedule first came out, many cited the upcoming weekend as a “trap” game of sorts for the University of Wisconsin football team. Playing at Illinois, a Big Ten bottom feeder in recent years, the week before a road game against a Penn State team predicted to be among the league’s elite seemed like a potentially dangerous proposition for Wisconsin. Recent weeks have done nothing to change that. However, as the first leg of the two-game trip approaches, it is the Illini who are undefeated in Big Ten play and receiving more votes in national polls than the Nittany Lions, who are still looking for their first conference win. “They’re a very skilled team, don’t make many mistakes, and go out there and execute,” cornerback Allen Langford said. Illinois’ surprising start has a lot to do with its offense, which entered the week atop the Big Ten by a wide margin at running the football.”Up to right now, it is the best [offense] we’ve seen,” defensive lineman Mike Newkirk said. “They do execute; they’ve been playing some great ball. “It’s a big game for us. It’s a test.”Illinois has gained more than 255 yards per game on the ground thus far, nearly 40 yards more than Michigan State, the second-place team. What makes the Illini so difficult to defend is that the burden of carrying the ball is spread out across several different players.Running back Rashard Mendenhall sees the bulk of the work, but he is aided by quarterbacks Juice Williams and Eddie McGee and running back Troy Pollard — all of whom average more than 25 yards per game on the ground. “They’ve got good running backs, great speed, shifty,” Newkirk said. “I think the biggest thing right now is … they’re believing in themselves.”Illinois distributes the ball around effectively operating out of the spread, a type of offense Wisconsin has struggled to defend this season in games against UNLV and The Citadel. “In the past we haven’t done well against that type of offense,” Langford said. “Now it’s time for us to go ahead and try to be good against that type of offense.”Possibly because of past struggles facing spread offensive attacks, the fifth-ranked Badgers are a surprising 2.5-point underdog against the unranked Illini, a fact that doesn’t carry much weight in the UW locker room.”It has been made reference, maybe kind of as a motivational thing or maybe just as an eye-opener, a more realistic look to what people think we are,” Newkirk said. “We try not to pay attention to things like that too much. Everyone’s entitled to their opinion, but for us all that matters is our own opinion, and we believe.”With two games against spread offenses in the books already, Newkirk thinks the Badgers will be better prepared for what Illinois has to offer.”Maybe seeing a couple other teams earlier on in the year will give us a little bit of a look as far as [what to expect],” Newkirk said.The seemingly weekly task of answering questions about their success — or lack thereof — against the spread offense, has started to wear for some on the defense. “It is a little bit frustrating, every time. … We haven’t had the greatest performances against spread offenses to date, and every time a new one comes into town, then we’re always the question,” Newkirk said.”Hopefully we’re able to make the corrections we needed to make and that won’t be an issue anymore.”Corrections were the big story the last time Wisconsin faced Illinois. Much like the slow starts the Wisconsin defense has been plagued with this season, the Badgers fell behind big in the opening half thanks to the elusive Williams, and took a 24-10 deficit into the locker room at halftime. The defense made adjustments during the intermission and was able to hold the Illini scoreless in the second half to pull out a hard-fought 30-24 victory. “(Last year) we had a lot of fight, came back and won that game against a really good team,” Langford said. “This year it’s got to be a lot different. We gotta go out there and start fast and do our job from the start.”While the Badgers will, for the most part, know what to expect from the Illini running game, the same cannot be said for Illinois of Wisconsin’s. The running back position is a little murky backing up P.J. Hill. With Lance Smith ineligible to play due to suspension, the Badgers have many potential runners to spell Hill. The two main candidates are true freshmen: Zach Brown and Quincy Landingham. Brown has seen limited action thus far and Landingham none — he was a fall camp convert from safety — but Bielema is confident in both. A decision on who will be the main backup will be made Friday morning.”[Friday] we’ll discuss. … Actually it’s probably gonna be a good discussion because they both have practiced very, very well,” Bielema said.last_img read more

Wake Forest sophomore forward to transfer to USC

first_imgWhen junior forward Nikola Vucevic declared for the NBA draft on March 25, USC coach Kevin O’Neill vowed to recruit one or two new players who were ready to contribute to the team.True to his word, O’Neill convinced Wake Forest transfer Ari Stewart to verbally commit to USC.Stewart announced the news on his Twitter account Wednesday morning, posting a picture of the inside of the Galen Center with the caption, “Oh yea [sic], my new home.”He requested and was granted his release from the Demon Deacon basketball program March 23 after he had previously been suspended for the ACC tournament due to academic concerns.“Ari is a fine young man who has chosen to pursue happiness somewhere else,” Wake Forest coach Jeff Bzdelik told reports when asked about Stewart’s departure. “And I wish him well. It provides another young man with an opportunity.”Stewart was on USC’s campus over the weekend to see the university.Stewart will have to sit out the upcoming season as a result of NCAA transfer rules. He can begin playing for the Trojans during the 2012-2013 season and will have two years of eligibility remaining.Stewart is a 6-foot-7, 205-pound forward from Marietta, Georgia. As a freshman, he finished fifth on the Demon Deacons with an average of 7.3 points per game. He led all ACC freshmen by shooting 37.1 percent from beyond the arc.As a sophomore this past season, he averaged 8.5 points and 4.4 rebounds per game, but his three-point percentage fell to 27.4 percent. He did not score in the last four games he appeared in, after scoring in double figures in ten of his first 11 games; Wake Forest ended the season on an 11-game losing steak.With Vucevic and senior forward Alex Stepheson departing, USC will be forced to rely heavily on an inexperienced frontcourt next season. The Trojans’ post rotation will include transfers James Blasczyk, DeWayne Dedmon and Aaron Fuller, in addition to Curtis Washington, who did not score last season.Only two of the Trojans’ top seven scorers from last season, guards Jio Fontan and Maurice Jones, will return next season.last_img read more

Amit Panghal’s boxing career, achievements and plans for Tokyo 2020

first_img 11 months ago Amit Panghal sails into pre-quarters at World Boxing Championships 11 months ago Kavinder Bisht storms into pre quarters at World Boxing Championship Adil Khan 11 months ago Amit Panghal wins World Silver in India’s best-ever campaign LIVE TV COMMENT 11 months ago Negi continues India’s winning streak at the World Boxing Championship Written By Last Updated: 25th September, 2019 17:40 IST Amit Panghal’s Boxing Career, Achievements And Plans For Tokyo 2020 Amit Panghal created history by winning a silver medal after going down 0-5 to Uzbekistan’s Shakhobidin Zoirov at the World Boxing Championships in Russia.center_img 11 months ago Amit Panghal and Manish Kaushik ensure medals for India at WBC WATCH US LIVE First Published: 25th September, 2019 17:39 IST SUBSCRIBE TO US FOLLOW US WE RECOMMEND Asian Games gold medallist Amit Panghal created history by winning a silver medal after going down fighting 0-5 to the reigning Olympic gold medallist Uzbekistan’s Shakhobidin Zoirov at the World Boxing Championships in Russia. This silver medal was also Panghal’s maiden medal from this prestigious tournament. Despite the loss, Panghal had already created history as the first Indian male boxer to reach the final of the World Championships. Indian Boxers like Vijender Singh, Vikas Krishan, Shiva Thapa, and Gaurav Bidhuri have competed in the mega event, but they were not able to secure a medal better than bronze.Also Read l Amit Panghal: ‘Landed in more clean punches; Thought I’d won the Gold’Boxing CareerIn his debut, Panghal won gold at the National Boxing Championships in 2017. He then went on to win a bronze in the light flyweight category of the 2017 Asian Amateur Boxing Championships and qualified for the 2017 AIBA World Boxing Championships, where he was defeated by Uzbekistan’s Hasanboy Dusmatov in the quarter-finals. 2018 was an important year for Panghal. In February, he won a gold medal at the Strandzha Cup and then while competing in the light flyweight category at the Commonwealth Games, he won the silver medal. In the start of 2019, Panghal won gold at the Asian Boxing Championships 2019 where he defeated Korean boxer Kim In-kyu.Also Read l Asian Boxing Championship: Amit Panghal and Pooja Rani make India proud by striking gold; Virender Sehwag lauds the duoAlso Read l Amit Panghal insists his former coach be considered for DronacharyaRecent newsPanghal recently said in an interview that he expects a tough challenge from the Asian boxers at the qualifiers of Tokyo Olympics, 2020. While talking to a news agency, he revealed that, in the lower weight category, the level of competition at Asian qualifiers is same as World Championships. “Most of the Asian boxers win a medal at the Olympics or World Championships. So it will be tough. Of course, the World qualifiers will be tougher as US and European boxers will also participate,” he told PTI.Also Read l Amit Panghal makes history; 1st Indian in World Boxing C’ship final last_img read more

Kearney and Stander fit for Wallabies clash

first_imgIn the pack, Iain Henderson comes in for Tipperary’s Donnacha Ryan in the second row,Head coach Joe Schmidt feels Kearney and Stander will be fine come Saturday. Both players have come through the return-to-play protocols after a bruising affair last week.Keith Earls starts on the wing in place of Simon Zebo, while Garry Ringrose comes into the centre replacing the injured Robbie Henshaw. As he did off the bench last week, Paddy Jackson comes in for Jonathan Sexton. last_img

NBA free agency rumors: Pelicans considering signing Tobias Harris

first_img NBA free agency rumors: Pelicans may be willing to give Al Horford a ‘lucrative deal’ NBA Draft 2019: Zion Williamson wasn’t selected to be Pelicans’ ‘savior’ “There’s only so many players that are super stable in the NBA, let’s just be upfront with that,” Harris said about his approach to free agency last month. “For me honestly, style of play is a huge thing. Culture. A chance to be able to win. Just being in the playoffs here and getting that feeling.”The Pelicans, meanwhile, have already undergone a major roster overhaul this offseason. They completed one of the biggest trades in NBA history earlier this month when they sent Anthony Davis to the Lakers in exchange for Lonzo Ball, Brandon Ingram, Josh Hart and three first-round picks.New Orleans also selected former Duke star Zion Williamson with the No. 1 pick in the 2019 draft last week. Tobias Harris has another suitor.The Pelicans have expressed interest in the 26-year-old forward, according to a report from The Athletic, which cites unidentified league sources. The Mavericks, Grizzlies, Jazz and Nets are reportedly all also considering adding Harris. Lonzo Ball reacts to being traded from Lakers to Pelicans The Clippers could pursue Harris, as well, if they miss out on Kawhi Leonard this summer, while the 76ers want to re-sign him, the report says. Los Angeles sent Harris to the 76ers at the 2018-19 trade deadline.Harris has bounced around the NBA and has played for five teams in eight seasons, averaging 15.4 points per game while shooting 36.4% from 3-point range in 546 career appearances. Related News “(Williamson) is not somebody who is supposed to be the savior of this franchise,” New Orleans executive vice president of basketball operations David Griffin told reporters after the draft. “That’s not what this is. This is a 19-year-old kid who’s going to spend this year learning how to play winning NBA basketball.”The Pelicans also added Jaxson Hayes, Nickeil Alexander-Walker and Marcos Louzada Silva in the draft and have been linked to Al Horford.last_img read more

Class 4A Div. 1 bracket has been released, Wellington to play De Soto

first_imgA larger version of the bracket can be found here.last_img

Sterling clarifies his immediate future before the rumors of Madrid’s offer

first_imgUEFA’s penalty that leaves, pending the appeal presented to the TAS, out to Manchester City of European competitions for two years has plunged the club into a state of alert. The skyblue want to avoid a flight of talent and, after knowing the feelings of the staff at the meeting that the club’s dome held with the players this weekend, the heavyweights are expected to remain in the ranks of the Mancunian team.The first to talk about his future has been Raheem Sterling. The Englishman has a contract until 2023 but, through his agent, he wanted to ratify that his immediate future is in Manchester to several English media that also pointed the intention of signing Real Madrid in exchange for 180 million euros according to The Sun. “Raheem is only focused on the City and will not be distracted by anything he talks about signings right now,” said Aidy Ward, player agent The English press said at the end of 2019 that it has an offer to renew Manchester City on the table that would raise its salary to 27 million euros gross per year.The English end is setting a great season and is the second top scorer of the team with 20 goals, only one behind Agüero. Since the arrival of Guardiola, Raheem Sterling is reaching his best level as a footballer increasing his numbers season after season. Except for injury, it is expected to be one of the props of the Southgate team in the European Championship this summer, Manchester City will play again this Wednesday against the hammers and on Saturday against Leicester before facing Real Madrid in the first leg of the Champions League round of 16.last_img read more

Page 1 of 14

Powered by WordPress & Theme by Anders Norén